Child Support and Visitation

New Jersey Child Support Lawyer

Every child in New Jersey is entitled to support from both parents. To accomplish this, the State has enacted the Child Support Guidelines, which set forth the presumptive amount of child support each parent should pay towards the child’s support. This support must be paid until the child is “emancipated” – a technical legal term which can occur at different ages depending on the circumstances.

The Child Support Guidelines take into account the number of children, who the children live with, how much each parent earns, and how much each parent already pays to support the children. While this can seem simple, different parts of the calculation can be complicated depending on the specific facts of your situation.

The most common questions raised in a child support case are:

  • How much money is the other parent truly earning?
  • Is there hidden income or “passive income” from a small business or investments?
  • Should income from overtime or a second job be included in the child support calculation?
  • Should expenses or support paid for another child be considered?
  • Should income from other family, friends, or significant others be considered?

As an attorney specializing in family law cases, I can help you determine the true incomes of the parties and craft the appropriate arguments for why child support should be higher or lower, depending on your circumstances.

It is important to know your rights when dealing with a child support. Contact New Jersey child support attorney Marc P. Feldman today for expert legal counsel. We serve our clients residing in Parsippany, Morristown, Morris Township, Morris Plains, Dover, Rockaway, Roxbury, Chester, Boonton, Chatham, Denville, Hanover, Florham Park, Kinnelon, Mendham, Mount Olive and all of Bergen County, Essex County, Hudson County, Middlesex County, Morris County, Passaic County, Somerset County, and Union County, New Jersey.

Will I pay or receive child support?

How long will child support last?

What can I do if I don’t know how much my spouse earns or about the marital finances?

The other parent stopped paying child support, what can I do?

Comments are closed.